820 Frontage Rd, Northfield, IL 60093, USA
2.1

I took my 9 year old, otherwise perfectly healthy, indoor-only cat in at night because he was in clear distress, probably a stomach issue (though when I called BluePearl, they suggested it could be something dire like an infection blocking his ability to urinate, which gets fatal quickly). After a bunch of tests, they did not know what was wrong with him. A large object blocking the GI tract had been ruled out, as well as a urinary infection. I had to transfer him after 24 hours because he "needed" an ultrasound and the first BP hospital did not have the equipment or expert doctor, so I squared up with that clinic (almost $3,000) and brought him to a second BP hospital. That night, I was called at 1:30am and told my cat was going downhill and might not last the night. I skipped work, went into the hospital to say my goodbyes, and was told that he never got any worse after they called, and was currently stable, but still critical. They performed the ultra-sound and found nothing.

At the same time I was bringing my cat to the vet, my Dad - who lives with us - got sick with what he thought was the flu. He threw up a couple of times and had bad diarrhea. I asked him if he ate anything that he might have shared with my cat, but he did not remember anything at that time. When he wasn't better after two days, he went to his doctor, where he remembered that he had eaten some left-over chicken the night before he starting feeling sick, and had shared it with my cat. His doctor concluded he most-likely had food poisoning, and sent him home with instructions to drink water, eat a bland diet, and come back only if it gets worse.

When I told BluePearl about the likeliness of food poisoning, they insisted that my cat was way too sick for it to have been food poisoning. By day three, they were concerned that he wasn't eating, and wanted to put in a feeding tube. The doctor also suggested that he was anemic, and would probably need a blood transfusion. I went in during an extended lunch break to see if he would eat for me, and he was a wreck. All he wanted to do was huddle near me, and we obviously weak and unhappy - and he would not eat. I went back to work, but the more I thought of it, the more I thought he just wanted to go home.

So after work that night, I picked up my cat. Turns out the two days at that facility came in at around $4,000, for tests and intensive care.

At home that night, he still didn't eat, he was really stressed out, looked thin and weak, and I was worried I would have to find another place to bring him. But the next day he ate a little wet food and drank some water. That night, I bought him some broth for cats in a pouch, and he drank all of the broth, though did not eat all of the meat chunks. It is now two days later, four days since he has been home, and seven+ days since he ate the bad chicken. He is eating normally, gained back some weight, and is back to his old self.

So I took my cat in because he probably needed some help dealing with the first stages of food poisoning - hydration and some pain and nausea medication. He should have been released that night or the next day. Instead, they totally misread both my cat's symptoms, and his personality (he hates being in a strange place with strange people, even more so than most cats). They put me through an emotional wringer, told me my cat had all sorts of horrible ailments (cancer and\or an auto-immune disorder is what they were pushing when I took him out of there), and charged me $7,000 for the experience.

This just happened. I have not decided if I will sue.

Review about: Bluepearl Veterinary Partners Pet Medical Service.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

I liked: Pet care staff seemed to really care about animals.

I didn't like: Take advantage of emotionally vulnerable pet owners.

Comments

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your nightmare. I am getting ready for surgery on my dog & the cost is between 4 & 5 grand mri and all. I have an appt Monday with BluePearl but I am now canceling it and will take him to OSU University.You just saved me a lot of trouble for I was fearing something like this would go down at a private clinic that I did not know.